Tuesday 25 October 2011

Breakfast of champions

My favourite Shanghai breakfast, or lunch, or both - jian bing, nicknamed "foot-binding pancake". I'm going to miss this soooo much when I leave Shanghai.
Mung bean dough is spread like a crepe on a hot plate
An egg is cracked on top and spread out to form an omelette layer
Spring onions, coriander and little bits of pickle are sprinkled on top
Part of the pancake is flipped over and spread with some kind of delicious brown sauce and chilli sauce
Then a bit of fried dough is added, and sometimes lettuce
The whole thing is wrapped up like a burrito..
And popped in a plastic bag for you to take away. Yummo! And all for 50 New Zealand cents.

This lady was my favourite jian bing maker, just up the road from my office, but I've found a much nicer one near my metro station, Caoyang Road. Sorry lady! And especially sorry I made you heat up your grill so I could photograph you, when you had already pre-made a whole lot of jian bing and were taking a rest...

Finding and ordering every meal in Shanghai can be an exhausting and nerve-wracking process [eg see my Kapi-Mana News column here], so I'm loving the ease of buying street food like jian bing. Ooh and my other major food group is milk tea, but that's another post for another day...

6 comments:

  1. From Mum:
    The food looks delicious. Bring home recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anke (dutch)
    Love your blog! Food-fascination compulsary to your assignment or just personal interest? Good pictures too! Camera of stuff.co.nz Award Winning sponsor brand? Which type? And how many more days before leaving Shanghai?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi (second cousin?) Anke! Food fascination not vital to the scholarship, just personal obsession. Camera an Olympus point-and-shoot, wish I had an SLR but I'm making do! I've got another month here, then onto Beijing, Vietnam, Cambodia, Singapore. Stay tuned! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know EXACTLY the jian bing place those photos are from, and I also know EXACTLY the one by the metro in Caoyang Road you're talking about. *Nostalgia*.

    See I told you street food was the way to go! There's this one guy on Wuning Lu who does them with sausages. They're awesome for hangovers, with extra chilli to blast out any residual Tsingtao...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah I can't figure out how to ask them for more than the quarter teaspoon of chilli sauce they put on the jian bing.
    I remember you talking about these in Wellington - they are the best. Haven't tried too much other street food, keen to avoid hospitals ;)

    ReplyDelete