Monday 26 September 2011

Middle Earth to Middle Kingdom and other cliches

I'm going to Shanghai tonight. It'll be hot, it'll be frantic, the food will be great, the language will be a...challenge - in other words, I have no idea what to expect. I can't wait, I'm terrified, I've hardly thought further than arriving at my hostel. I'm leaving with cliches, let's see what I find.

Many thanks to the Asia New Zealand foundation - Charles Mabbett and Rebecca Palmer in particular - for creating and funding this opportunity. Without this scholarship I doubt I ever would have visited China, and I'm really grateful.

Thanks also to Katie Foley, my friend, ex-colleague and Shanghai alumnus - I'd be much more of a frenzied mess if not for your advice and cheerleading. Xiexie!

See you on the other side!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andrea, the blog is great, with a nice balance of words and loads ofgreat pics . . . getting a real sense of your adventures so far. The shops and markets are so colourful and different. Looking forward to seeing how you find the work side of life. Cheers, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ellen, cheers - not hard to find fodder for the blog so far, everything's so crazy and cool. At work now - pretty quiet so far, I've proofed some pages and not just reading their back issues. Hopefully will get to go out of the office today or tomorrow, no idea what I'll be doing! Will keep you updated. Hope everything's hunky dory in P-town xx

    ReplyDelete